The fastest way to develop a new website is to purchase a “ready-made” theme. It’s the old ‘why reinvent the wheel’ scenario. It saves time, a lot of time, in fact it could save a developer anywhere from 50 – 100 hours of time, which equates to money. And lots of it!
When choosing a theme you need to decide what type of website you are creating first:
- do you want a content management site like Joomla or WordPress?
- do you want straight HTML5 code
- is a ready-made Ecommerce solution what you need instead?
Once you decide the platform you will base your website on, then you can start shopping for a theme. There are one-page themes, for simple websites that don’t have a lot of information to display. Themes developed for Ecommerce, Real Estate, Restaurants, Social Groups, Church Groups, Rental Services etc.
Themes can be purchased for anywhere from $30 – $100 for a single-use license.
What to watch for:
- make sure your theme is mobile responsive (it fits all screen sizes)
- Will be kept up to date
- Is designed by a reputable developer (do your research)
- find a theme that fits almost exactly to how you want your new site to look and respond
Most themes you purchase can be customized by using a ‘child-theme’. A child theme is where all customizations are added, so when a new version of your theme is developed, any customizations that were made to the theme will not be overwritten when the new version is installed.
With WordPress websites, a new theme can easily be purchased and installed on your existing website. Within a few hours your theme can be configured using the theme’s custom appearance, widgets and plugins. For more information contact Wanna Web Design!