Today I had someone email me how to help them achieve online presence with Google. After typing my answer I realized it was a great post that I could share with others!
Here was my response:
- Have descriptive page titles. When designing a site and setting up SEO I always ask my clients “how would people search you?” for instance if you wanted a chiropractor in Collingwood then that is what you would type in google “chiropractor collingwood”. So if this is how people will find you, then you need to make sure all the page titles have this included in the title.
- Narrow your selection. Don’t try to be the best across the province, narrow your location to a main town and surrounding area.
- The more pages you have with excellent titles, the better you rank.
- The page content has to match the titles… so if your page is about cutting wood… somewhere on the page you should mention that you cut wood.
- Each page url needs to be descriptive: here is the url for one of my pages : https://wannawebdesign.com/services/modify-websites-collingwood-barrie/ see how the url is set up?
- You need lots and lots of content. Good content.
- Your content should be typed on the page… not in a jpg or pdf. Google can’t read jpgs.
- Google does not use keywords anymore.
- Add a Google presence: Google Business, add your address to Google Maps
- Single page websites are not great for SEO. You only have 1 shot at google finding you, across the whole entire internet. You are competing with companies with multiple pages and very specific locations. Websites with structured SEO.
- Google likes Blogs. So create a blog with posts that are relevant to your theme. If you play music weekly have weekly posts with where you are playing: “Live Jazz music this Friday night at XYZ Bar & Eaterie”. Update it regularly. Google likes current blogs.
- Name your photos… don’t upload 1234.jpg. Change the name to reflect what you are promoting.
So this is the Cole’s Notes version of SEO. But if you follow these practices, you should be able to rank higher.
If this seems overwhelming, contact me!